Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:26:59 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Ilya Bakulin <webmaster@kibab.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unbound-control in FreeBSD-CURRENT and stable/10

On 11/29/2013 6:27 AM, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> Hi list,
> about two months ago DES has imported unbound(1) and a couple of related
> utilities in FreeBSD-HEAD. This is good, but now unbound-control is being
> installed in /usr/bin. That means, if the user wants to install Unbound from
> ports, typing unbound-control will still use FreeBSD-shipped Unbound, not the
> one from Ports. This will work as long as the unbound-control API is stable
> and no new commands are added. But at some point this may cause problems.
>
> I have tried to contact DES about this several times, but I cannot reach him.
> Can someone please fix this bug before 10-RELEASE is out?

There's really no bug to fix.  The base has unbound in it,
unbound-control is part of unbound.  If you install unbound from ports,
you should delete unbound from base.  I haven't tried out 10.x yet, but
you usually just set a knob like WITHOUT_UNBOUND in /etc/src.conf, then do:

# make -C /usr/src delete-old delete-old-libs

You can use the check-old target first to list what delete-old and
delete-old-libs will remove.

If you want to keep a stock, intact base so you can use freebsd-update,
you can make your shell run unbound-control from ports by default:

Change your PATH to have /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin first.  The
shell will find /usr/local/bin/unbound-control first and run that.  I
recommend this in general, since you pretty much always want a name
collision to prefer the from-ports program.

Alternately, you can alias unbound-control to
/usr/local/bin/unbound-control, which will bypass the path search entirely.