Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:25:52 -0500
From:      Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 08:01:52AM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> That would be nice, but in my experience I've just submitted patches to
> gnats and eventually someone would notice.  I don't have to bug anyone.
>  The PR's get implemented eventually.  Even as a maintainer for a few
> ports who doesn't have commit privileges, I don't find the process
> frustrating.  I guess I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I too am the maintainer of several ports and do not have committer rights. I
have found this very difficult in the past couple months. I submit an update
and it is ignored. I start questioning people, and I am also ignored. Not
until someone decides to make a monumental version change of another port
under the same category is it noticed. Well, not even that the committer
goes ahead and reinvents the wheel and updates the port. (I have no problem
with this mind you.) What got to me is that we could've spent our time doing
something more beneficial then recreating each other's work. If only we paid
a little more attention to the PR's.

--
Erich Zigler                                   Chief Technical Officer

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you.
All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in