Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:47:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, danny@panda.hilink.com.au, dfr@render.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0/user ppp lockups?

> The only problem is with dynamic IPs.  What we really need is the
> capability to trigger events that will tell natd (or whatever)
> when an interface has been "changed".....
>
> Then, natd could sit on an interface and do really smart things
> rather than getting confused/restarted with every ifconfig.

The "right" way to do this would be to listen to the routing
socket, in which case you'll recieve a message whenever any
interface goes up/down, renumbers, etc. This is what routed
does, for example.

Short of that, have natd re-check all the interfaces on a SIGHUP,
or perhaps every 10 seconds or so (using ioctl(SIOCGIFCONF) to
look at all the interface addresses).

-Archie