Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/14145: PPP userland/client (3.3-REL) throws core

The following reply was made to PR bin/14145; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc: Klaus-Juergen Wolf <kjwolf@seismic.de>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, Brian Somers <brian@freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 05:07:56 +0100

 [.....]
 > Yeah, this happened to me too:
 >
 > Oct  5 10:28:08 relay /kernel: pid 23005 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
 > Oct  5 20:07:28 relay /kernel: pid 77580 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
 >
 > I have compiled `ppp' with debug symbols, and will send a backtrace on the
 > next core.
 >
 > Anything else, Brian?

 Some patches ?  ;^1

 Seriously, I believe there's a bug in the way VJ packets are handled
 where ppp ends up scribbling over the return address on the stack.
 Once the deed has happened, there's very little information left....

 What I think I really need is a way of actually reproducing the
 problem.  It's never happened to me, but it's been happening to
 people for years.

 I think the only way to catch something like this is to get the
 compiler to put the function return address in read-only memory so
 that a stack-scribble will produce a core when it happens rather than
 after the fact....  Do you know if gcc is capable of doing this ?  Do
 you know of any better ways of tackling the problem ?

 > --
 > Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
 > ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,
 > ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,