Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:44:21 -0600
From:      Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Be careful what you say

> I am writing to the list, just to say that if the risk a person runs
> when giving advice, or explaining something to someone who appears not
> to understand it, is that they will be called a Nazi then I shall not
> bother anymore.

There's one more ingredient here to consider when participating in a list.
In addition to a posting here on the list I gather you may have contacted
the fellow directly and he considered what you did to be a scolding. I
agree that he/she was out of line with such "flames", but it is probably
not as good practice to enter someone's mailbox just to lecture him/her
without considering the risk of some unwanted response. I'm going to guess
it wouldn't have happened otherwise...

Just another $0.02.... worth about that much...

At 06:59 PM 3.15.2002 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On 2002-03-15 07:12, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>> I have just received a very abusive email from someone on this list.
>> If it is being a nazi to explain to someone why the information was
>> wrong then I guess I deserve to be lumped in with Hitler.
>
>You know that this is not true.
>
>> I am writing to the list, just to say that if the risk a person runs
>> when giving advice, or explaining something to someone who appears not
>> to understand it, is that they will be called a Nazi then I shall not
>> bother anymore.
>
>This is a well known risk when posting to open forums.  Another common risk
>is getting your address harvested by spammers, and your mailboxes flooded
>with advertisements for "ever lasting happiness", "money! money! money!"
>and all those funny things.
>
>Giving up on the list is not going to solve the problem though.  You'll
>eventually post to some other open forum and be treated similarly.  The
>fact that people without manners exist, is well, known.  Let them taste the
>almighty power of your procmail rules :)
>
>If the thing continues, you should consider what David Greenman suggested.
>
>Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
>keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone