Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:41:21 +0200
From:      Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't get system stats: "alternate system clock has died"

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:54:45PM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
> The only log message I see from the kernel for the last few days is
> this one:
>
> Sep 19 13:39:23 w01 /kernel: pullup failed
>
> but that appears to be IPFW related.
>

> Any hints as to where to look?  I'm loathe to reboot this machine
> until at least Sunday early AM during off-hours.

Just recompile your kernel with apm with flags 0x0020 on.

From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# Notes on APM
#  The flags takes the following meaning for apm0:
#    0x0020  Statclock is broken.
#  If apm is omitted, some systems require sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1
#  for correct timekeeping.

So:

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x0020 # Advanced Power Management
ought to do it.

Nothing serious to reboot your machine for, if you don't want to.

Marc