Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:13:44 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> With respect, I spent several hours today going over the public
> UDI information.  Here are some salient points:
>
> 1)	It is a source portability standard, *not* a binary portability
> 	standard.
>
> 	This means that you can not expect it to mean squat to the
> 	source-available systems.

I tend to disagree, and indeed you yourself below suggest why this
isn't the case.

> 2)	The header files for pretty much everything are downloadable
> 	from the SCO site, as are the man pages.
>
> 	This means it would be trivial to commit them.
>
> 3)	There are no reference implementations of drivers that are
> 	source-available to test a FreeBSD implementation.
>
> 	This means that you won't know that you've done anything.

Not yet.  These do exist, and as I understand will ultimately be
available.

> 4)	There is support for dynamic attachment, but not for
> 	dynamic loading of driver modules.
>
> 	This means that, whatever happens, it will be pretty stupid,
> 	since you will need to expend kernel space on drivers that
> 	aren't used in order to get drivers at all.

This is Bad Bad Bad.  You might like to point this out to Kurt at least.

> > > Perhaps, someone from the commercial sector can step in :
> > > Oracle, Yahoo, Whistle or Juniper.
>
> This is a good suggestion.  Given #1/#3, it's a good bet that you
> will need someone legally accountable to sign for source license
> to a "select group" from a legal perspective.

For which code components?  I am aware that Kurt at least feels
strongly about having an "open source" reference implementation, and
that they're willing to bend over backwards to see this happen.

> > > All of the above companies have architect class engineers and it is really
> > > to their advantage to contribute something in this area.
> >
> > Oracle are no longer interested in FreeBSD (see John Dyson'ss
> > swansong),
>
> BS.  This is defeatist propoganda at its worst...

Evidence to the contrary would be gratefully appreciated.  And if you
have some time (!), I'd love some help working out why Oracle 8 for
Linux is dying under FreeBSD.

> > Whistle are at the other end of the market (embedded systems)
>
> I'm at Whistle, and I think it's a good idea, but it will have some
> overhead relative to FreeBSD that FreeBSD may not be prepared to
> shoulder (FreeBSD is prepared to shoulder so little overhead...).

We're prepared to shoulder lots.  We don't have the resources to do so
seriously.

> > and UDI would be an unnecessary expense,
>
> I believe that both Archie Cobb and Julian Elisher would support
> UDI at Whistle; I know that I would and that Bryan Mann would, which
> means that you would have a hard time *not* supporting it there.
> Whistle is an enlightened company; they know the difference between
> "tactical" and "strategic", and, unlike most companies, have devoutly
> embraced the "Open Source" thema for tactical developement.

I'm happy to be wrong.

> > Juniper aren't likely to care (UDI doesn't address any of their
> > problems).
>
> The current UDI specification (.80) addresses both SCSI drivers and
> network cards.  Thus it addresses issues which Juniper find to be
> both strategic and tactical (i.e., they will want the code, and they
> will be willing to contribute code back; Juniper, like Whistle, is
> aware of the issues involved in enlightened self interest).

I wasn't of the impression that Juniper's relevant network hardware was
being handled by BSD drivers, or that they had any trouble with the
natively supported hardware they're currently using.

> > I was unable to make any headway despite researching the matter
> > intensely some time back; someone with no coding skills but some
> > technical marketting acumen and more free time to spend on might-be's
> > would have a better chance of coming up with the goods.
>
> You should probably point out that the BSD community, if included,
> will be a ready source of commercially usable UDI code, since we
> will not live without drivers for our own hardware.  The Linux
> community, to the contrary, will produce GPL'ed drivers that will
> not be commercially usable.

Vendors would argue that they would prefer to provide their own drivers.

For a counter-argument to "vendor drivers are better", see the now
extinct /sys/pci/tek390.c.

> Consider the case (since UDI embraces CAM) of CAM-based controller
> drivers with no development effort by commercial vendors, since the
> FreeBSD counterparts will be generally available, and usable under
> the UCB style licensing.

Indeed.

> Personally, I'd like to see some ELF binary UDI impelementation, such
> that the code from card vendors would run under FreeBSD without the
> need for a non-disclosure license and recompilation.

Certainly, UDI is as close as we're likely to get to a cross-platform
ABI for device drivers.  We've been trying to bring UDI to USBDI (the
cross-platform USB driver interface effort) as well, but are
encountering more resistance.  8(