Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:17:53 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Review Request] Kerberose 5 patch.  Version two!

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:44:44 -0600
Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:49:22PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:15:31 -0600
> > Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com> wrote:
> > > I agree - my original draft had it in all caps. I suspect it got lost
> > > when the .prv TLDs were changed to .org.
> >
> > I've already done this in my new diff.
>
> Thanks Tom!
>
> I promise to learn SGML (and not attempt to preach LaTeX ;-) ) sometime
> soon *grin*.

I like LaTeX, I think.  :P

> > Well, I have an idea on how to do this.  Something like:
> >
> > <note>
> >   <para>When using Kerberos in a large network, and insist on using
> >      DNS services, then the following information could be added to
> >      the DNS configuration: ...
> >
> > With the correct markup of course.
>
> I like it. The word "insist" might be a bit strong (it /is/ a good idea
> for some/most environments, after all). How does "prefer" sound?
>
> A pointer to section 2.14 of the Kerberos FAQ and the MIT install guide
> "Mapping Hostnames onto Kerberos Realms" section (both already in our
> references) which talk about DNS issues for multi-homed hosts and
> setting up DNS (respectively) might make sense here. The NetBSD
> reference that was previously mentioned could also come into play here.

Well, I removed insist.  Actually, I came up with this:

      <note>
	<para>For large networks with a properly configured
	  above example could be trimmed to:</para>

	<programlisting>[libdefaults]
      default_realm = example.org</programlisting>

	<para>With the following lines being appended to the

	<programlisting>_kerberos._udp      IN  SRV     01 00 88 kerberos.example.org.
_kerberos._tcp      IN  SRV     01 00 88 kerberos.example.org.
_kpasswd._udp       IN  SRV     01 00 464 kerberos.example.org.
_kerberos-adm._tcp  IN  SRV     01 00 749 kerberos.example.org.
_kerberos           IN  TXT     EXAMPLE.ORG.</programlisting></note>

This gives us a sentence which reads as "it could be done this way,
but you are not required to do so."

> > > It's not probably not completely fixable - whoever has root powers has
> > > the capability to "become" any user by using their Kerberos ticket.
> > > Granted, root has that power already but this extends it beyond the
> > > local machine. Users may not expect (or want) that.
> > >

> > Perhaps we could recommend that /tmp have different permissions set?
> > Although, I have never ran a Kerberos server I do not want to just give
> > a set of permissions without knowing how they would affect Kerberos.
>
> I might be misreading that, so just to be safe I'll clarify: this
> problem doesn't affect the KDC, it affects all workstations.
>
> Changing the permissions on /tmp for all workstations might be a
> contentious recommendation. Most Kerberos applications will take an
> environment variable to tell them to look elsewhere for the ticket,
> though this isn't truly standardized and still doesnt' solve the "root
> user problem".
>
> I'm not sure that this is a problem that documentation can solve :-)

Then I'll ignore the change I was going to make and just leave the
paragraph as it was.  Thanks!!

--
Tom Rhodes