Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:28:53 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Bezerker" <bezerker@bezerker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccardd question...

> From: "Bezerker" <bezerker@bezerker.org>
> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:30:15 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Ok. One more question for the day. I have a nice thinkpad here, just got the
> blasted thing working with my older nic (gave up on the cardbus one, too
> lazy to go -current right now).. now i compiled in support for my sound card
> (Crystal audio).. and its all good.. but.. its runnin on irq 5.. which is
> exactly what my linksys combo nic wants to run on.. Now.. ive removed irq 5
> from pccard.conf ..b ut it still gives me the message Failed to allocate IRQ
> for Linksys
>

> How can i get this runnin on another irq.. i cant get the crysal audio on
> another one to my knowledge...

Combo NICs are often a problem. Depending on which ThinkPad you have,
the internal modem might well be usable.

Please post what version you are running as interrupt processing was
totally re-worked for V4.4 and the irq line of pccard.conf is normally
longer used.

Are you setting any sysctl values for pcic? Can you show the dmesg
from a boot? You my need to use the ps2 utility to modify BIOS to get
things working right as the BIOS IRQ values are now generally
honored. (ps2 is also known as the DOS ThinkPad Configuration Utility
and is included with Windows on all ThinkPads. It may be downloaded
from the IBM web site if you don't have it available and may be built
on a bootable floppy.)

Depending on the model of ThinkPad, you may need to tweak a few things
for sound support. (Normally Crystal Audio cards are supported by the
pcm driver, not the CS driver.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)