Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 02:10:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   serial console buglet

(Taken from "Re: Server Farms?")

> You mean you don't have a serial console? And yes, I can see where it may
> be impractical (network access only, no serial ports, etc).

Speaking of serial consoles, I keep getting bit by a little bug that is a
descendant of the RS-232 specification (mother) and unterminated signals
(father).

On some of my machines that have serial consoles connected to (usually)
Wyse 150 & Wyse 60 terminals, they have the annoying habit of not
rebooting if the serial console is turned off...  Turn the console on or
pull the serial cable, and the machine proceeds to boot.  (3-wire
interface).  Without digging into the source yet, I'm guessing there's
something in there that keeps the boot process from starting if there's a
constant mark/space (don't remember which one -- been a long day) on the
console port.

#1 - Is this correct?

#2 - If so, what's the vote on putting a timeout in there -- if the port
is blocked by this signal for more than 15 seconds (much longer than a
"break" signal), go ahead and start booting anyway?

--mike

(Yes, I realize I could probably fix this with a resistor, but breaking
kernel code is SO much more fun.)