Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:36:36 -0400
From:      Andrew Martin <ugly@inhuman.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /dev/dsp reports "device busy" but nothing using it

Hello,

I was playing audio with mplayer and when it finished, mplayer closed as
usual, however when trying to play something else I now receive "device
busy" messages about /dev/dsp.  I do _NOT_ have esd or any other sound
daemon running (checked ps ax), nor do I have any other app that plays
audio running.  In addition, grep'ing fstat for the inode of /dev/dsp
gives no results.  I get the error with any app, including just cat'ing
files to /dev/dsp.  I don't see how /dev/dsp could possibly be still in
use.  I have discovered I can play sounds using /dev/dsp0.1 .2 .3 for
now
(/dev/dsp0.0 still reports device busy until I reboot).

I do NOT have KDE running or GDM or anything else that starts a
soundserver..

uname output:

FreeBSD whorism 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Wed Jul 10 20:07:35
EDT 2002

I have pcm compiled into the kernel:

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0x14e0-0x14ff irq 10 at device 13.0 on
pci0

And this is a fairly recent source tree - from just about a week ago I
believe.