Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:11:21 -0500
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, alex-goncharov@comcast.net
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

,--- You/Matt (Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:33:56 +0000) ----*
| Yes, it can. Read the man page for csup. You can set something like
| tag=. date=2008.12.20.12.00.00 in your supfile and get back to (within reason)
| any historic point in the tree.

That is wonderfully nice -- thank you.

| You can also tell portupgrade, if you use it, to hold off on certain
| upgrades (try pkg_info -r xorg-7.3_2 for a full list of packages to
| hold in portupgrade.conf, HOLD_PKGS define) if you want to stay
| current, although I can see a few ports failing with odd deps after
| they've been touched by the Xorg bump, so you'd probably be better
| off using the supfile's date method to preserve compatibility
| between ports.

OK, now the idea of how to keep a part of my port system old and the
other part new is beginning to shape in my head...  A bit of pain but
should be doable.

| That is not to say the new Xorg doesn't work. The only problems I've
| seen on Radeons needed a couple of options lines in xorg.conf due to
| the hald/dbus/xorg race and an fdi to make the keyboard layout match
| what I actually have rather than "us". Easily fixed for now and 7.4
| brings some fixes to my systems that I have been awaiting for quite
| some time, most notably the horrendous XPress 200M chipset now works
| with DRI.

Knowing about specific things now fixed for specific users is very
encouraging.

Thanks a lot!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --