Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:54:09 +0100
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old hardware

[reply-to set to chat]

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 06:10:13PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Monday, 20th October 1997, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
>
> >maybe we should make our release-a-day server a 486SX with 8MB of
> >memory and switch it to being a release-a-week server instead.
> >We'd not have as useful a service by far, but it sure would catch
> >those load sensitive bugs early. :-)

I've always believed that developers should have the fastest possible
machines and testers should have the slowest known to mankind...

> I used to have a 386sx16 with 4Mb ram
> and 13.5 Mb of swap.
>
> Unfortunately, it took sick and died. :-(

I have an advert in front of me for an identical machine - (UKP85 or
about US$150 for the complete system, half that for a headless system
unit).  Advertised as "ideal for keeping the kids off your PC!"

> I've always been fascinated by those bald blokes that whip themselves
> in the name of religious purification.  They don't joke either.

"Oh system, who art great and mighty, do not crash upon us in our hour
of need, we beseech thee.  For nothing can be done except at thy
command prompt"

<slap>

"Give us this day our daily uptime"

<slap>

"Forgive us our flamewars, as we forgive those who advocate against us"

<slap>

"And lead us not unto Linux, but deliver us from Windows"

<slap vigorously>

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk