Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:57:50 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Luke <luked@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Received mail timestamp is off by 7 hours

--GID0FwUMdk1T2AWN

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:00:15PM -0800, Luke wrote:
>=20
> >>There's no excuse for a mailserver to not be synced to a NTP source.
> >
> >I'd extend that to apply to any server.  Practically all the things a
> >server does are dependent in some way on the correct time.
>=20
> I have three excuses:
> 1) NTP is difficult to configure.  I've done it, but it wasn't trivial.

ntpdate once at boot.

http://www.nist.gov/

> 3) If your clock tends to run noticably fast or slow, constant NTP=20
> corrections tend to do more harm than good, at least in my experience.  I=
t=20
> got to where I couldn't even run a buildworld because NTP kept tinkering=
=20
> with the clock in the middle of the process.

Same as 1)

rg"

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2
=20

--GID0FwUMdk1T2AWN

--GID0FwUMdk1T2AWN--