Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:55:21 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <aksyom@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unable to start X.org with KMS in FreeBSD 10.0 without using the new_xorg repo

--7hFWftBr3vaQg8AqAgSLlrbrhrKrQB9uF

On 24.9.2014 19:24, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I just looked at the wiki page and I fail to see anything saying that t=
he NEW_XRG packages are in the default repository. That is the reason the=
 new_xorg repo exists. The wiki does say that WITH_NEW_XORG is now the de=
fault for all supported branches except 8. The goal is, indeed to get the=
 NEW_XORG working with all supported versions and remove the old code, bu=
t I see no indication  that it has been done as of today.

Okay :D It seems that I misunderstood what the wiki page actually meant. =
Sorry about that.

Thanks for info!

> I do agree that clear warnings about the need for the new_xorg repo if =
KMS is to be used. It also points out that an update of Intel KMS to supp=
ort newer GPU is getting REALLY critical! It's getting harder and harder =
to find laptops that have supported graphics and while VESA (usually, sor=
t of) works, it is not really a good way to run a system.

Yeah, a warning about new_xorg repo and KMS plus good examples on how to =
do it. I only needed to define the repo in /etc/pkg/0-new-xorg.conf, then=
 pkg update && pkg upgrade -f -r FreeBSD_new_xorg

Anyways, now updating to 10.1-BETA2 to see if I can get VT working with K=
MS.=20

> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com <mailto:rkoberman@gmail.com>

--=20
Arto Pekkanen
ksym@IRCnet