Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:47:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I was thinking if you're going to design it from scratch, why not detach
> > the UI from the rest of it from the beginning, making it easier for some X
> > die-hard (read: me, or someone else with too much free time) to make an
> > X-ish (or even {Web|interface-of-the-month-ish) interface for it.
>
> Because if I try to do that, I've got to take time out to *implement*
> all the interface library objects on at least the ncurses end of
> things vs being able to simply grab TurboVision and use all of its
> objects right off the bat. :)

Huh?  I was thinking that you should say put (& make) functions like for
instance, install distrubition, and most of the other options under the
configure menu in a libraray, and use TurboVision (or whatever) as a
wrapper for that.  That way, one could use C (and their favorite widget
library), or perl, or whatever, to write an interface of their liking on
top of that. AFAIK that wouldn't require any tweaking to your UI of
choice.  Kinda like libftpio, which is afaik UI independant.

- alex