Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 02:19:07 +0800 (CST)
From:      Jian-Da Li <jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot with multiple freebsd partitions

	Hi :

	My friend just installed 2.2-960501-SNAP, and it was said that
	0501's boot.c is buggy for IDE+SCSI situation, so he upgraded
	the boot block to v1.4-boot.c with BIAS=2, and it works fine.

	Here are the partitions :
	disk 1: IDE (DOS, NULL, NULL, NULL)
	disk 2: SCSI (DOS, EXTEND, BSD-ROOT, BSD-HOME)

	Someday, he tried to move his EXTEND to BSD-TMP, ie:
	disk 2: SCSI (DOS, BSD-TMP, BSD-ROOT, BSD-HOME),
	and the boot block can no longer find the kernel to boot.

	I guess that the boot block is looking for kernel in the first
	BSD partition, which causes problem in this case.
	He tried to modify the biosboot/sys.c to make it looks for
	the 2nd BSD partition, but failed. (and it's not a really solution)

	So, finally he re-partitioned his HD, and re-installed again.  :(

	So, will our boot block become smarter someday ?!
	like boot: 2:3:sd(0,a)/kernel
		    ^^ a new section for the partition where kernel stays ?!
		       The 3rd BSD partition on the 2nd BIOS HD ?!
		       Looks stupid.  :(

	(The IDE+SCSI problem is anonying, but can be workaround, but
	 this problem can't be workaround so far)

	Thanks for your help.
--

                                             李 建 達 (Jian-Da Li) 交大資工
                                             E-Mail : jdli@csie.nctu.edu.tw