Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 16:47:26 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

Christian Weisgerber writes:
> I have a D-Link DSH-5 5-port 10/100 dualspeed hub here at home,
> and I'm reasonably happy with it. It certainly doesn't hang.

This summer we purchased an Allied Telesyn 724i (I'm guessing as to
exact name and P/N) at work. 24 port 10/100 unmanaged, built in AC PS.
19" rackmount size, about 1-1/2" high. Was $629 from
http://www.warehouse.com/.

Use of the rackmount ears is optional. The holes were drilled such that
one could turn the ears 90 degrees. I did. And used the ears to mount
it on the wall.

Another nice touch was port 24 has a cross-over switch. Plugged in our
Pipeline router using the cable Ascend/Lucent provided. No connect.
Then flipped the switch and got connected. Other products do the same
by providing two RJ-45 jacks, one wired each way.

In the last several months the only incident I know of, an NT4SP4
machine lost its network connection. Unplug/replug its ethernet didn't
help. Rebooting the NT machine cured the problem. Nobody was surprised.

> After a couple of months I put a drop of oil into the bearing of
> the cooling fan, which strongly suggested that treatment by the
> noises it was making.

I need to do that to ours (see above) as its making noises. I check it
several times per week to make sure its still moving air. Has two small
fans side by side.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net