Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 06:04:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

Just wanted to report that IP gatewaying with FreeBSD works great, even
if its a single host, and not a subnet that you are gatewaying..  I
especially like how you can adjust this with a sysctl (or by simply
changing NO to YES in /etc/sysconfig) rather than having to recompile the
kernel.

The reason I mention this is that I finally got my Internet provider to
set me up a static route with a second IP address gatewayed through it.  I
have my trusty old Amiga 500 hooked up to my FreeBSD system over a CSLIP
null-modem connection and AmiTCP (which is based on 4.4BSD code and
therefore has many of the same /etc config files!).  Now, when I log in to
my Internet provider, and log in to my PC via the Amiga, packets get
routed automagically through the PC out to the Internet from either
computer, and find their way automagically back (and I don't have to mess
with any proxy servers, either!).  It turns out that the speed of the
CSLIP connection is not relevant, because its faster than my 28.8kbps PPP
connection, so the Amiga and PC both have full use of the PPP bandwidth.

Anyway, if you have two computers and only one modem/phone line/Internet
connection, and have an Internet provider who's willing to set up some
special routing tables, you might want to try what I did sometime.  It was
really cool!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL