Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 16:38:28 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Vlad <tmd@tmd.df.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PANIC?! what is that?

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 03:25:24PM -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the 'best' definition, but a panic is an
> unrecoverable error which occurs in the kernel. Since the system
> can't recover, it 'panics' and shuts down as gracefully as possible.

That's a pretty good description.

> Speaking as someone who has never seen a FreeBSD kernel panic, I
> would consider it a *bad thing*, probably the result of a misconfigured
> custom kernel or a hardware problem.

A third possibility is a bug in FreeBSD.

For panics which you can easily reproduce by doing a specific set of
actions, chances are it could be a bug. For "random" panics, or panics
which start occurring in situations when they never did before,
hardware is usually the best place to start looking. Panics under high
server load often indicate a misconfigured kernel, which has some
hard-coded resource limit set too low (i.e. the system is running out
of resources and has no option but to reboot to recover)

> Is it possible to write C code (delibarately or otherwise) that
> would cause a kernel panic?

Yep. In fact the main trick when writing kernel code is to make it NOT
cause a kernel panic - if you can solve that, you're halfway there :-)

Code run in userland by an unprivileged user shouldn't be able to
panic a properly configured kernel, though.

Kris
--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE--