Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:15:31 -0500
From:      Brent Casavant <bcasavan@sgi.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Roadmap?

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> HP has given me an old (A1 stepping) Itanium box to play with. I don't
> know for how long, so I want to make the best use of it. Can someone
> tell me where we are on ia64?

Marcel,

You should also know that late last year these boxes (I imagine you
have what is known as "Big Sur", up to a 2P system) had a significant
upgrade that replaced pretty much everything except the case, power
supply, and fans. Oh, and the video card. That means that if you
manage to get ahold of B3 or C0 processors they may or may not
work correctly with the older motherboard/etc. Someone else may have
experience in this area and be able to confirm whether newer
processors will work.

Brent

--
Brent Casavant          http://www.scc.net/~bcasavan