Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:49:56 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        christopher <skeptikos@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port management practices

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:17:17PM -0700 I heard the voice of
christopher, and lo! it spake thus:

> I know about csup, portupgrade, etc., and I think they are great,
> but if you only have one app that you want to upgrade because it was
> buggy at a previous time, then it doesn't seem like a practical
> undertaking when you consider all of the other apps involved and the
> build times for things such as openoffice and kde.

But it's usually not necessary to rebuild all the other apps.

Certainly the deeper you go into dependancies, the greater the risk of
downstream impact; a lot of things depend on libX11, so updating that
may require rebuilding a lot of things.  But the closer you get to the
leaves, the less the issue is.

I'm fairly sure I've *NEVER* used 'portupgrade -a'.  I always use
portversion to spit out the list of outdated things, and pick and
choose what I update when.  Wine takes a long time to build, so I
usually hold that off 'till I don't mind nailing the system up for an
hour or so.  Some things I have local patches to, so I do them
manually later.  Deeper bits with a lot of things depending on them I
save until I'll have a bit of time to deal with potential fallout
(which is surprisingly rare, considering the complexity of the system;
a great testament to the work of the maintainers).  A lot of things I
just drop into the todo list and fire off whenever they come up.

I've had hiccups and oopses, but on the whole, it works very smoothly,
and has for many years on many systems.  I always hear these horror
stories from people, but they keep obstinately refusing to happen to
me.  Life's rough sometimes   8-}

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net