Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:23:51 -0600
From:      "Brad Davis" <brd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kon_Granlund?=" <hg@sircon.no>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backups Hardwares for FreeBSD

On 11/1/07, H=E5kon Granlund <hg@sircon.no> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>
> > Today our backups are made on DDS-4 tapes, they are very slow and too
> > small, this is our problem. What is a good (modern) alternative to DDS-=
4
> > working on FreeBSD?
>
> I have yet to see someone mention ZFS in this discussion, so there. I
> said it.
>
> We're currently testing FreeBSD7.0-BETA1.5 on a HP DL380/StorageWorks 30
> with 2TB (expandable to 4TB) in raidz. This will be the main backup
> server which is located in the same room as the servers. This will then
> use zfs send|get with another backup server running the same ZFS-version
> in a remote location.
>
> And, it can also be used with iSCSI (snapshotting) which makes backups
> easypeacy.
>
> ZFS eliminates the need of fancy RAID-controllers, too. You just need
> disks. And lots of 'em.
>
> If you can; stay put a few more months and wait eagerly on ZFS/7.0 to
> become STABLE :-) At least, that's what I would (and will) do.

The only problem with any kind of software RAID is how the controller
handles a disk going tits up. I have heard of controllers hanging or
not allowing the system to boot. Not a big deal if the system is the
office server and is down the hall. A much bigger deal if it means you
are getting on a plane. Most RAID controllers are designed to work
with these issues and help your system keep on chugging while the
array is degraded or rebuilding. But on the other half of the coin,
ZFS is pretty nice, I really like having unified RAID management
across all systems and having checksums so I know the files are good.

So as always, test test test and test some more. You all have a big
black SOP book filled with what to do when the shit hits the fan,
right?

Regards,
Brad Davis