Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:58:19 +0200
From:      "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad X20 2662-34U lockup problem

> I'll talk to IBM and see if I can get any information as to whether or
> when the BIOS fix for the X20 will be released.

That would be great, as I've had the same problem with an X20.
BIOS version 2.12, embedded controller version 1.24

> As I understood it, the problem had to do with the fact that no partition
> type above a certain value that ended in "5" would be correctly understood
> by the BIOS. That included "f5".

It would have been nice if they would have allowed the machine to
boot from floppy or CD-ROM anyway (no matter what the hard drive
looks like). This is the first machine I've seen that wouldn't boot
from floppy if the hard drive get messed up.

> As for your questions... I don't know. :) removing the hard drive should
> work. try another hard drive? There was a BIOS version that worked with

Removing the hard drive only got me one step further; I was able
(after an error message or two) to get into the BIOS, and could
change settings there. Didn't do me no good though, as I had no
other machine to put the hard drive in, and no other drive to put in
the machine either.
The people at the local IBM repair shop ended up replacing the
drive, so maybe this is a rare problem for them.

> I will check with IBM regarding BIOS fixes.

Thanks! (A working BIOS would be nice)
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway