Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:55:05 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Weinberg, Sandy" <SWeinberg@callmax.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6

On 11 Jan 99, at 13:31, Weinberg, Sandy wrote:

> I have possibly a strange question.  I have recently inherited a system
> which uses FreeBSD 2.2.6 which we use as a firewall.  I can log onto the
> system as myself, by never as root - even though I know the password. From
> my own user I can su - using the root's password.  Is there a
> configuration file somewhere that I'm missing or is there another way to
> create a root equivalent user?

telnet to root is disabled by convention.  It is better to telnet as another user and then use su.

> I'd be VERY grateful to receive this information from you.  I've tried
> making changes in the passwd, groups, and aliases files to no avail.

It can be changed, although it is not recommended as from a security point
of view.  Sorry, but I can't remember how.

Also, I would advise using ssh instead of telnet.  It is far more secure.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary