Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:36:00 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependancy hell, post linux_base-8 conversion

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:26:51 -0800
"David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > This is the dependency list of our native xorg-libraries port:
> ..snip..
> > Does this answer your question?
>
> Not sure if you're trying to say "YES, we like it."

The X11 libs depend upon the expat and fontconfig libs. So yes, we like
to specify the dependencies. You expect to be able to use acroread when
you install it, aren't you?

> One thing different though -- we build our xorg and XFree86 libraries
> from source.  The Linux ones are just RPM installs.

We depend on expat and fontconfig in our X11 libs because they need them
at run time (lib depends). For linux this is the case too. So why should
we not let the linux X11 libs depend upon them?

The alternative is to add implicit dependencies to all other ports. We
don't do this for our FreeBSD ports (most of the time), so why should we
do it in the linux ports?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.