Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:14:20 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Richard Goh <accel@pacific.net.sg>, optasia@singapore.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcaudio volume

Richard Goh:
 |Randall Hopper:
 |>Goh:
 |> |controller snd0
 |> |device pca0 ......
 |> |
 |> |When I cat an audio file to pcaudio, the volume is so low it is drowned
 |> |by the fan.
 |>
 |>Was a particular sound file you've played ever louder on the same machine
 |>with the same fan installed?
 |
 |It was never ever louder, had to put my ears near to the speakers to hear
 |the music (yamato.au, that's.au etc).  Tried it on two different PCs with
 |the same result.  I can hear the au files perfectly well on my Macintosh
 |so they are not corrupted or anything like that.
 |
 |Is there a way to set the volume or any documentation on this. I have
 |tried the handbook, faq and the archives without much luck.

I'm going to hazard a guess there isn't.

As I recall from my old DOS days, the original PC audio hardware was really
primitive.  It only had a single bit to twiddle for the speaker. 0 = move
the cone in; 1 = move the cone out (or vice versa).  No control to vary the
degree to which the cone is moved in and out.  The speaker was/is real tiny
anyway, so low frequencies didn't fare well.

So you could generate simple tones by adjusting the rate you twiddled this
bit, but generating complex harmony or reproducing recorded files was not
done originally.  [I still remember the first game out there that did the
latter (MeanStreets) to play prerecorded files and how cool that was at the
time.]

'course, this anemic original design was one of the reason for the success
of the original Sound Blasters.

Randall