Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:01:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sparc Port

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 06:03:47 -0700
> From: Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
> Subject: Re: BSD/OS source code (4.1 and SMP experimental) now available.
>
> Just as a reminder to everyone, we do have a (completely dormant :-) )
> freebsd-sparc mailing list that I invite everyone and anyone interested
> in sparc to join.
>
> Martin Cracauer wrote:
> >
> > In <3934.958710076@localhost>, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > >       o SPARC port
> > >         Already working on this: [nobody]
> >
> > What's the public opinion on the sparc64 vs. older issue?  Is that
> > meant to be be for sun4u (and upwards) machines only?  Is there still
> > a point to target to pre-ultra machines?

I'd like to see the port include the now orphaned Sun4c and the Sun4m
machines -- since they're already supported in NetBSD and OpenBSD as
well as Linux.

There's a lot of companies unloading them cheaply and they make fine
samba servers and DNS boxes and FreeBSD on them would be an improvement.

I don't see a lot of home and small FreeBSD sites with a pile of Sun
Ultras as target boxes -- but Sparc2/10/20's are getting as common at
fleamarkets as 486s and P100s.

Bill