Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:19:29 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "David" <djhill@novagate.net>
Cc:        "William Schmidt" <bsd_admin@htslabs.com>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/22768: fxp get slow often!

>Hello,
>    I also have an Intel NIC (fxp0).  I must manually set it at 10BaseT/UTP
>for it to work on the network.  If its set at 100BaseTX, i can't ping
>anything except for the interface itself.  I've also had the problem with a
>Linksys 10/100 NIC (dc0).  This started happening sometime in the 4.x
>series.  I don't remember having any trouble in FreeBSD 3.x.
>
>I know they both work at 100BaseTX, because I used both perfectly running
>Windows ME.
>
>Anyone having any solutions?  Or is there a problem with something in the
>4.x drivers?

   The only significant changes that have been made to the driver since 3.x
have been in the PCI bus area, which affected many/most drivers. I'm wondering
if there is something quirky about your motherboard(s) that might not be
getting along with these changes, especially when you've both mentioned
problems with other fast ethernet cards as well.
   What type of motherboard do you have?

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.