Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 05:34:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jan Erik Amundsen <eramunds@online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting apps to bsd

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Jan Erik Amundsen wrote:

>Hi I have read your essay on porting but hoq exaktly do you do when you
>want to port something from windows95 to bsd? In windows there are a lot
>of .dll and exe files insted of tar.gz - how do you do that?
>
>I would appiciate you answer on this issue.

Binary files are not portable without some sort of emulation. For windows
binaries there is an emulation package called "wine". This software is for
developers only. You can use wine to run windows programs.

If you have windows software source code you may be able to port that
software into a binary native BSD program.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/