Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:34:46 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd/sparc64 bootable iso available

Apparently, On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:21:53PM +0100,
	Jesper Skriver said words to the effect of;

> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 05:15:00PM -0500, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > Apparently, On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:06:53PM +0100,
> > 	Jesper Skriver said words to the effect of;

> > > Nice, it works perfect on my 400 MHz Ultra5
> > >
> > > But it panics instantly when trying to start ntpd
> >
> > It should drop into ddb in that case, right?  Can you provide a traceback?
>
> Yes, that should have been in that email, but I by mistake sent
> it too quickly, I was trying to figure out how to load the
> symbol file.
>
> bar# ntpd
> bar# Mar  3 23:20:17 bar ntpd[205]: ntpd 4.1.0-a Sat Mar  2 15:49:31 EST 2002 (1)
> Debugger("trapsig")
> Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta              %xcc, 1
> db> trace
> trap() at trap+0x4d8
> -- fast data access mmu miss tar=0x2f14 --
> userland() at 0x40510d5c
> user trace: trap %o7 (leaf return) is 0x10e5bc
> pc 0x40510d5c, sp 0x7fdffffee01
> pc 0x10d388, sp 0x7fdffffeed1
> pc 0x11c858, sp 0x7fdffffefa1
> pc 0x11c520, sp 0x7fdfffff181
> pc 0x1022f0, sp 0x7fdfffff241
> pc 0x4023bda4, sp 0x7fdfffff301
> done

This is actually ntpd that crashed, not the kernel.  That kernel has code that
I forgot to remove which drops into the debugger when a process gets a fatal
signal; push c to continue.  You can try using the objdump binary in the
distribution to disassemble ntpd and find what these addresses refer to,
might give some clues.

> An other thing, is this build from the code present in -current, or it
> it p4 I need to track ?

This is built from p4.  You can get the sparc64 branch from cvsup10 using
this supfile:  http://people.freebsd.org/~tmm/sparc64-supfile.  The patches
to make ata work are the biggest difference between that and cvs.

Jake