Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:39:37 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When will binary packages be back?

Mike. wrote:

[snip]

> Additionally, for me, building from ports for me has tended to pull in
> many, many X-windows support files when they are not needed.
>
> Specifically, I run a non-windowing system using command line tools.
> When I tried to compile Samba from ports, I finally killed the 'make'
> stage after three hours of compiling X-windows stuff.
>
> Nowhere had I ever spcified that the system was running X or any other
> windowing system.  Yet, there it was, three hours of wasted time.

In addition to what Jeff has said, for servers where I do not want any X
related stuff I place WITHOUT_X11= yes in /etc/make.conf. In addition to make
config option(s), there may also be some default stuff here and there in the
Mk files. The make.conf line will short circuit these.

IIRC there may be some exceptions where you need some (a handful or less) of
some X related packages. Seem to think of things like gd, imagemagick,
freetype, etc., for PHP kind of things. In these cases, the make.conf line
will blanket cover most of what you don't want and you can choose make
config options that will pull in only what you absolutely need without
starting down the line to everything X-related.

-Mike