Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:37:08 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Gareth Hopkins <gareth@za.uu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not installing openssh

--M/SuVGWktc5uNpra

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 05:14:00PM +0200, Gareth Hopkins wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> 	Is there a way of not compiling openssh when installing FreeBSD.
> I want to run the ssh that is in /usr/ports/security/ssh as I cannot get
> openssh to work with Kerberos 5.
>=20
> 	I have set NO_OPENSSH and NO_OPENSSL to true and have made world
> but ssh* is still in /usr/bin and sshd is still in /usr/local/sbin
>=20
> 	Do I need to manually remove these?

In a word, yes.

There is a way to get a FreeBSD system where OpenSSH and OpenSSL are
never installed in the first place: make a custom release, and either
use LOCAL_PATCHES to modify the src/etc/make.conf file, so it contains
NO_OPENSSH=3Dyes and NO_OPENSSL=3Dyes, or use WORLD_FLAGS containing
NO_OPENSSH=3Dyes and NO_OPENSSL=3Dyes.

However, if you do not want to go to the trouble of building a release
(it is not all that hard, really - especially if you set NODOC=3Dyes and
 NOPORTS=3Dyes, so only the FreeBSD base system is built), and you want to
remove most traces of an installation after an installworld, something
like the following may help (all on one line):

# find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/libexec -type f \! -newer /kernel=
 \! -name 'ld-elf.so*' | xargs ls -lt | less

This is assuming that your kernel was installed immediately before the
beginning of the installworld stage, as things are supposed to work (at
least that's the way I always do it, 'make buildworld buildkernel', then
'sudo make installkernel installworld').  After that, pick and choose
from the displayed list of files to remove.  If you find out that ALL
the listed files are indeed obsolete, re-run the 'find' command, adding
-delete *at the end* (after the 'ld-elf.so*' part).  If you find that
all but several of the files are obsolete, again, re-run the 'find'
command, adding more \! -name 'foo' options, and tacking a -delete at
the end.

Wish I could say it was that simple with /usr/lib, /usr/include, and
/usr/share; however, it is not.  Most of the files there are way older
than your last build/install date, since most of them are put in place
using install(1)'s -C option - compare the files and only overwrite them
if they have changed.  You can fix that by setting 'INSTALL=3Dinstall' in
your /etc/make.conf file before the next installworld; this will
override the default value of 'install -C', and cause all files to be
overwritten with ones with a current timestamp.

Hope this helps.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20