Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:18:47 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, dchapes@borderware.com (Dave Chapeskie)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XL0

Yeah it's a B series according to the box.  As it was, my packets weren't
getting through with the XL0 driver running (screwup in the ifconfig maybe)
so I went back to the ep0 device for now.  I'll venture back into the other
side sometime next week.

At 08:29 AM 10/28/98 -0500, Bill Paul wrote:
>Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Dave Chapeskie
>had to walk into mine and say:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 12:43:17PM -0400, Drew Baxter wrote:
>> > Got my dmesg output for the day.. (this is probably my 2nd day of using my
>> > XL card instead of a EP0'd 3c509), and i see this.. Anyone able to shed
>> > some light on it?  It runs fine otherwise, not sure if this is killing
>> > performance when we have this happen or not.

>> [repeats]
>
>The latest version of the xl driver tries to avoid these by increasing
>the transmit reclaim threshold. Note however that according to the
>manual, these errors only appear with the 3c90xB adapters, not the
>3c90x adapters. Consequently, the driver only fiddles with the reclaim
>threshold if it detects that the adapter is a 3c90xB. This leads me to
>believe you have a 3c905B-TX instead of a 3c905-TX, although you didn't
>say so. If you do have a 3c900 or 3c905 and still see the error, then the
>3Com manual is lying to me.
>
>Like the other mail says, these errors indicate that an error was
>encountered after the chip had already started deleting the packet
>from its internal memory. I only recently discovered the command to
>change the transmit reclaim threshold. The change to increase the
>threshold happened sometime last week.
>
>-Bill
>
>--
>=============================================================================
>-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu
>Work:         wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu | Center for Telecommunications Research
>Home:  wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu | Columbia University, New York City
> "It is not I who am crazy; it is I who am mad!" - Ren Hoek, "Space Madness"

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998