Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 08:01:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 release sysinstall

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Querying foreign hosts with SNMP is considered bad style, and is very
> > unlikely to yield responses anyway.
>
> Personally I would like to use it to extract routing info from routers
> on the path between my node and some destinations.
>
> I assume these info are already communicated to nearby nodes via
> routed or some other protocol, so I don't believe there is much
> "sensitive" information. Any ideas on whether this is considered
> bad style or if there is an alternate/polite way of getting the same info ?

Run routed with -s to advertise its routes, that includes on all nodes.
Btw, this is the default..

Gateways which can not be learn't, should be added in /etc/gateways and
marked as passive (the route does not change due to any routing
information received).

	ie.
		net foo.bar.com	gateway	gw.foo.bar.com metric X passive

		where X is the hop count (metric)

But then, im not sure if additional routing information is what your after
from these routers.

Peter