Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:02:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Schwartz <rjoe@sierrahill.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rjoe@sierrahill.com (     Joe Schwartz        )
Subject:   max user ID length?

Folks,

This is on release 3.1.

What is the maximum length for a login ID. I thought it
was 8 characters ... but just installed majordomo and
realized after I'd done the 'adduser' that it was 9
characters ... and I can login as mojordomo.

I have just created users on this machine which were on an
NT server where some had longer than 8 characters.

Could I have created these long user ID's without truncating
at 8 characters?

Thanks,

Joe Schwartz