Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:30:27 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just what is SNDCTL_DSP_SUBDIVIDE?

Scott Michel:
 |Not being an up-to-speed geek on sound drivers, would someone tell me
 |just what SNDCTL_DSP_SUBDIVIDE is supposed to do?

Hannu's old Voxware SDK doc has a decent description.  I dropped a copy off at Amancio's site a while back (ftp://rah.star-gate.com/snd-sdk-doc-0.1.ps.gz).

    The ioctl(fd, SOUND_PCM_SUBDIVIDE, &div) is a new call which requests
    the driver to use smaller buffers.  The value in the parameter (div)
    should be 1, 2 or 4. After this call the driver will compute the buffer
    size by dividing the default buffer size by the requested value.  This
    makes the buffer up to 4 times shorter than the default.

Randall