Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:32:39 +0200
From:      Johan van Selst <johans@stack.nl>
To:        Herby =?utf-8?B?Vm9qxI3DrWs=?= <herby@mailbox.sk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: smalltalk-3.0.5

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

Greetings,

Herby Voj=C4=8D=C3=ADk wrote:
> I hope I am not very annoying, but I'd like to ask when will the port of=
=20
> 3.1 be ready. It features star packages with new clauses, which 3.0.5=20
> cannot read, and better compstibility with other Smalltalk is also nice a=
=20
> feature. I was pretty disappointed that I cannot install Swazoo 2.2 since=
=20
> it\s packaged in 3.1 format.

Let me add a little bit of background here: versions 3.0.5 and 3.1 were
both released on the very same day: 3.0.5 is not older than 3.1. The
former was a stable bugfix release and 3.1 came with serveral new
features (and unfortunately no perfect backwards compatibility for
running older programs). There were some minor issues (bugs) in 3.1 as
well, although I don't remember the exact impact. At the time, there
were no programs that used the new features and switching to it might
cause problems for others.

Right now, many programs will work with either version, and some even
require the new 3.1 features (as you pointed out). I had expected that
there would be a bugfix release for 3.1 by now with, so that I could
upgrade to that version. But maybe the bugs aren't as important as
I thought. I'll look in to these issues and will probably switch the
port to 3.1(.x) soon.

Regards,
Johan

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v