Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 11:57:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Duck Dogers <Shepard@cris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File Allocation Tables

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Duck Dogers wrote:

>      Will Free BSD work on a FAT32 system?  If not naturally can the
> image program written for unix work for Free BSD as well?  Thank you for
> any reply.     -N.S.

Understand that FreeBSD is an operating system, in a class of programs
like Windows NT or OS/2.  It does it's own formatting of partitions.  It
doesn't operate under some other OS ... as an example, does Windows 95
operate under OS/2?  No, they install separately, in their own
partitions, as does FreeBSD.

The formatting FreeBSD does on it's partitions, BTW, doesn't even remotely
resemble FAT32.

Maybe you were asking if FreeBSD can access data on your FAT32 partitions?
It has always been able to access the FAT16 partitions, but until very
recently, it couldn't access the FAT32 ones.  Some recent work in
FreeBSD-current has gotten some level of compatibility with FAT32
partitions (I don't know exactly how much) but that code is very new, and
certainly not available on any release version of FreeBSD yet.

I hope that answered your question ...

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |