Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:08:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATX boards and restart after power failure

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Jim Shankland wrote:

> We have been building systems based on the Tyan S1572 motherboard
> (ATX form factor, TX chipset).  It turns out that when there's a
> power failure, these systems stay down when power returns until
> a human or other mammal presses the soft power-on button on the
> front.

;-) Mammal... Why don't you get your FreeBSD daemon to do it? (Here
Chuck... Chuck? <G>)

> * Somebody (I think on this list) actually made a hardware mod
> to their boxes to simulate "mammal pushed soft-power-on button"
> when power came up.  If that person or anyone else has any thoughts
> on how to go about this, I'd like to hear them.

You should be able to build a simple RC (i.e. resistor/capictor) switch to
bring the machine up when mains returns (similar to the one that
provides the RESET signal for CPU's in systems until the PSU has
stabalised... If no other helpful soul dives in and sends you ASCII art of
an RC network let me know, I'll dig/draw one up...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz