Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bv@wjv.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Marketing question

Reply to: bv@wjv.com

After what seemed an interminable wait we finally have our racks
coming up in the Orlando Level-3 facility.

Our target is dedicated hosting - but not in the low-end area.

Once you get known - eg Exodus and the like - people can come to
you - but does anyone have any effective marketing ideas they'd
care to share to get the word out at first.

When I say 'low-end' about I'm talking about those who advertise
dedicated machines at $299/month. Our thought is offering guarnteed
1.5Mbs service on a machine that is entirely for the use of the
client, with 256MB/ECC 100Mb/ethernet cards and mid-sized Hd for
about $850.  That means there are no suprises on bandwidth charges,
etc.  Currently we get 100Mbit burstable into their switch and can
move to gigabit when we cross the 50Mbit threshold for 95%.  By
that time their OC48 should be at OC-192.

Considering the complaints we had heard about some of the co-location
facilities on a local-are basis - eg non-responsive customer
service - machines down long than they should be - we felt there
would be people who would pay for commerical/industrial type
hosting.  Or do you think we are off-base on that - eg paying for
quality.

We're running FreeBSD on machines we set up - though one client
has a dual-Sparc Sun running a database backend to Apple G4
front end [WebObject].

I'm open to all suggestions.

Bill

Bill