Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:47:31 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, vel@bugz.infotecs.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 11:28 am, Kenneth Mays wrote:

> Fact is, managers may understand that the code in C++ is easier to read and
> maintain.

This I must disagree with.  Most of the time, I think that C++ is harder to
read *and* maintain.  Well-written C++ is probably easier to read and
maintain, but it's harder to write C++ well, and just telling everybody to
switch compilers won't help at all -- it's likely to obfuscate the code more.

If you want the benefits you've got to re-train everybody to use C++ *well*,
which doesn't seem to be what was being suggested in this case.

Besides, it's not C++ that provides whatever questionable benefits it
provides; it's OO methodology which can come in handy, and there are more
elegant OO solutions than C++ around.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org