Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:14:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

Brian Tao wrote:

[re: KEEP_DROP_TEMP in QPOP 2.2]
> > Actually, this is not needed. The same set of permissions which
> > prevents QPOP from creating the .user.pop file also prevents it
> > from removing the lock file. =-)
>
>     It complains about not being able to remove the file though,
> doesn't it?  ...

I don't think it does. It erases the file using

   (void)unlink(p->temp_drop);

so it never checks for EACCESS. I should compile with KEEP_DROP_TEMP
anyway, more efficient that way.

> >    popper[20737]: @remote-host: -ERR POP EOF received
> >
> > Any ideas why this might be happening ? ...
>
> Hrmmmm... I remember some sort of problem like that with an older
> 2.1.x qpopper that forced me to go back to the cac.washington.edu
> POP daemon. ...

Maybe I'll try out this washington.edu daemon. Any security concerns
with it ?

Glancing at rfc1081, it's pretty tempting to write a tiny, secure,
POP server implementing just the few mandatory commands.

Thanks,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;