Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:29:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, gsutter@pobox.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

> It was the standard compiler for OSF/1, so there's a good chance it is
> for Digital UNIX as well.  And there's nothing in the GPL that says
> you must be forced to carry sources, just supply them (for a price
> that you can name) if somebody demands them.

	3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work
	   based on it, under Section 2) in object code or
	   executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2
	   above provided that you also do one of the following:

	   a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding
	      machine-readable source code, which must be
	      distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and
	      2 above on a medium customarily used for
	      software interchange; or,

	   b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for
	      at least three years, to give any third party,
	      for a charge no more than your cost of
	      physically performing source distribution, a
	      complete machine-readable copy of the
	      corresponding source code, to be distributed
	      under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on
	      a medium customarily used for software
	      interchange; or,

	   c) Accompany it with the information you received
	      as to the offer to distribute corresponding
	      source code. (This alternative is allowed only
	      for noncommercial distribution and only if you
	      received the program in object code or
	      executable form with such an offer, in accord
	      with Subsection b above.)

> This means you can say ``OK, I'll get you the sources for $5000,

	   b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for
	      at least three years, to give any third party,
	      for a charge no more than your cost of
	      physically performing source distribution, a
	      complete machine-readable copy of the
	      corresponding source code, to be distributed
	      under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on
	      a medium customarily used for software
	      interchange; or,

> or you can get them yourselves for free from ftp.gnu.org''.

Presuming that they incorporate your changes in the standard
distribution of whatever software you are modifying.  If they
don't like your changes, or don't carry them, then you have to
carry them yourself.

> Why do so many people blow this GPL issue out of proportion?  There's
> so much FUD about it that you'd think somebody has a hidden agenda.

Including the FUD that comes from reading the Preamble and not the
license itself?  8-).

	http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

(Legally excerpted for educational purposes).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.