Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:04:13 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        "Weinberg, Sandy" <SWeinberg@callmax.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6

Dan Langille wrote:

> > I'd be VERY grateful to receive this information from you.  I've tried
> > making changes in the passwd, groups, and aliases files to no avail.
>
> It can be changed, although it is not recommended as from a security point
> of view.  Sorry, but I can't remember how.

edit /etc/ttys and put "secure" after the ttypX lines, e.g.

# Pseudo terminals
ttyp0   none                    network secure

Not recomended for security reasons, but the above will let you log in as root
on the first network connection (you may have to add 'secure' to a few more /
all of them if  a lot of people log into that box via telnet).

> Also, I would advise using ssh instead of telnet.  It is far more secure.

Strongly seconded... ;-)

-Kp