Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:14:16 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> wrote:

> Agreed, but I think you're missing the point.  It's not the HAVING of a
> resource fork that's the key, any programmer working in isolation can
> have that.  It's the having a standard place to stick those resource
> forks, and a standard method to get and find them, that's the key thing.

     Other key points:

* With icons in the binary, maintainance is easier ("How much easier?",
  is another issue, though).  It's much easier to maintain icons if
  they're attached to the executable.  Also, among other things, you
  don't run into the problem of having out-of-date icons when upgrading
  binaries.

  [ Yes, in theory, things like this don't happen with proper
    installation procedures, but they're all too common in real life. ]

* Probable less disk space.  It sounds as if adding an icon to an
  executable will only add a few tens of bytes.  If you make the icon a
  separate file (per icon), the disk space requirements skyrocket
  (what's the default frag size for FFS -- I forget?).  Of course, you
  could have an icon database to get around this, but you make icon
  maintanance much more difficult.  Disk space is also pretty cheap
  these days but, if people are screaming over a piddly few bytes,
  they'll scream even louder when you start talking about Kbytes.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.