Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:06:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xfree 4.2.0 and Savage4

Hello.

I've been running my work machine with FreeBSD for
sometime now.  Now that Xfree 4.2.0 is the system
default  and that a lot of packages now have this as a
dependency - I tried a fresh 4.6 install.  When using
the console mode Xfree setup tool I'm told that the
Savage4 is unsupported?  Lookign through my config
file I see that it's fallen back to using the VGA
driver.  The thing is x won't start with this card
even using the VGA driver for some reason.  I know a
co-worker of mine has some flavor of linux installed
on a identical machine and that it uses Xfree 4.2.0.
He gets X working fine. I don't know what driver he's
using and it's currently the weekend here so I won't
find out for a couple of days.

I tried changing my config file sot hat it uses the
'sis' driver but X bombs out after the 'sis' driver
complains that it doesn't support the chipset.
I'm a bit stuck here?
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
PJ