Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:19:43 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, rick@kris.wpi.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Contact Datbases - Re: Project FreeBSD 98

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 04:56:16PM -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> As of now the table is wide open, no set rules.  In fact you can work
> in more than one area is you'd like.  So it's pick you poison ;-)
>
> And thanks for stepping up to the plate with some excellent skills.

Okey. What would people think of creating a few contact databases?
I'd like to see one of "FreeBSD Advocates", and also one of "Press
Contacts". Obviously, the advocates database would list people that
have expressed an interest in promoting FreeBSD - you would sign up
on a web page. That way, we don't "loose" the team.

The Press Contacts database would list various contacts at various
news agencies (CNet, Techweb, Infoworld, etc..) and indicate things
like "Are FreeBSD friendly", and so on..

I'm offering to host the databases, and create the web front end. In fact,
I already started. I may get the prototype up by tonight (got exams to
study for, but this is *wonderful* procrastination).

Any other contact-like databases that we need? Organization is key
right now, IMHO, and I think just "rallying the troops" to a centralized
advocacy site would be a good idea.

I'd also have things like PR Templates, Articles, etc. for people to
generate promo material from. I already did my 1st draft of "Getting
FreeBSD into Academia" that will be published in the newsletter hopefully.
http://www.vmunix.com/advocacy/academia.html

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark