Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:38:17 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Michael Ranner <mranner@inode.at>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scan_ffs for UFS2

At 10:20 PM +0100 2/19/03, Michael Ranner wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I am trying to learn scan_ffs (original from OpenBSD, ported to
>FreeBSD by Robert Watson) about UFS2 on 5-CURRENT, but it will
>not find the Superblock and I dont understand exactly both for
>loops, especially that 512 byte increment.
>
>Scan_ffs is a system tool from OpenBSD to recover erased disklabels
>from your hard drive.
>
>Thanks for your input.

For what it's worth, we (FreeBSD) have a simple SuperBlock recovery
program in /usr/src/tools/tools/find-sb.  I picked up some updates
from Dave Cross for that, and have a few more of my own.  I just
have to sit down and get them all together into a single version.
I don't know how find-sb compares to the program you're talking
about, but they sound kind of similar.