Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, andrewb@mpa.oz.au, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gateway problems

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 09:48:57AM +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
> > (Moved to -questions)
>
> (moved this part back to -hackers :-)
>
> > As andrewb@mpa.oz.au wrote:
> >
> >> I also am using routed, although Im not sure of the difference b/w
> >> that and gated, and when either should be used.
> >
> > Rule #1: If you don't know what they are for, you don't need them.
> > I've always suggested that it were a better default to shut them off,
> > so only people who know what they are for enable them.  I've been put
> > down on this, alas.
>
> I agree entirely (see, Jörg, I don't always disagree with you :-)
>
> Why do we have this enabled as default?  95% of FreeBSD users
> (including, I suspect, a large number on -hackers) neither need nor
> understand routing protocols.  Since they frequently try to add static
> routes, the results can be confusing, to put it mildly.
>
> Greg

I believe this to be especially true in the case of routing daemons.  I
have only used routing daemons on UNIX boxes where the servers were dual
interface machines that served as routers to the subnet their clients
lived on.  None of the clients needed routing daemons.  I very seriously
doubt that most of the freebsd boxes in the world need routing daemons,
and none of them need them as a default.  But hey, at least we can say we
have something in common with a commercial UNIX.  The first thing I do to
a new Irix install is 'chkconfig routed off'.

Jamie Bowden
System Administrator, iTRiBE.net

Abusenet: The Misinformation Superhighway